Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. OBAMA TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR AIRSTRIKE THAT KILLED AMERICAN, ITALIAN HOSTAGES
The president regretted the deaths in Pakistan and cast the incident as a tragic consequence of the fight against terrorism.
2. EU TO SEND SHIPS, PLANES, HELICOPTERS TO END MIGRATION TRAGEDY IN THE MEDITERRANEAN
At a summit in Brussels, Europe’s leaders also agreed to lay the groundwork for military action against traffickers.
3. LORETTA LYNCH WINS CONFIRMATION AS THE NATION’S FIRST BLACK FEMALE ATTORNEY GENERAL
After a Senate vote, she is set to replace Eric Holder at the nation’s top law enforcement job.
4. THE NASDAQ BREAKS RECORD
The tech index is now at 5,056 and it took fifteen years, one month and thirteen days for it to climb above its previous height.
5. WHAT THE PUNISHMENT WILL BE FOR DAVID PETRAEUS
The former CIA director was sentenced to two years’ probation and fined $100,000 for giving a woman classified material.
6. WHAT IS HEIGHTENING TENSIONS IN BALTIMORE
Reports that Freddie Gray, who died of spinal injuries after being arrested, was not only handcuffed and put in leg irons, but deprived of a seat belt during his trip to the station.
7. ARIZONA SHERIFF ACKNOWLEDGES INVESTIGATION INTO JUDGE’S WIFE
Joe Arpaio admitted his former lawyer had hired a private investigator to look into the woman after she allegedly made comments against him.
8. WHICH IS THE SECOND ICE CREAM COMPANY TO SHUT DOWN PRODUCTION THIS WEEK DUE TO LISTERIA
Jeni’s said on its website it had recalled all its frozen products after the discovery.
9. FAMILY OF DAVE VUERSON WILL APPEAL SETTLEMENT
Relatives of the late late football player say it doesn’t include future awards for the brain decay diagnosed after his 2011 suicide.
10. RARE, CUTE ‘POCKET SHARK’ FOUND DEEP IN WATERS OFF U.S. COAST
It’s a male, maybe a few weeks old, about 5.5 inches long and has two pockets next to its front fins; their purpose is not known.
How the US Mint and NIST are perfecting the money-making process.