Defense Department budgets submitted for 2013 will reflect the new, lower-cost strategy President Obama outlined last week, according to the American Forces Press Service.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said the United States will still be able to conduct more than a single war at one time. He said news media have been under a mistaken impression the United States is abandoning a two-front capability.
“Let me be very clear,” Little said in the article. “If we take on more than one threat from a state or nonstate actor, we will be prepared to address those threats, and we will win.”
All of the administration’s budget requests are due to Congress Feb. 6. Under last summer’s budget agreement, the Pentagon must forgo $500 billion in future increases over the next 10 years.
Tom Temin is the host of The Federal Drive, which airs from 6-10 a.m. on 1500 AM in the Washington, D.C. region and online everywhere. Tom has 30 years experience in journalism, mostly in technology markets. Before coming to Federal News Radio, he was a long-serving editor-in-chief of Government Computer News and Washington Technology magazines.