By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. GOP VOWS TOUGHER PLAN TO DEFEAT IS MILITANTS
Boehner is among several Republicans who say Obama’s plan — which bars “enduring offensive combat operations” — won’t work.
2. WHAT PRICE KIEV COULD PAY FOR PEACE
Ukraine’s deal with Putin, if it holds, foresees Russia gaining leverage to keep its western neighbor out of NATO.
3. SENATE CONFIRMS OBAMA’S PICK FOR DEFENSE SECRETARY
One of Ash Carter’s first tasks will be mustering support for the administration’s call for new authority to use force against the IS extremists.
4. WHERE METH USE IS SKYROCKETING
Production and abuse of the drug are rampant in Iran despite potentially lethal criminal penalties for users if they are caught.
5. LABOR DISPUTE KEEPS DOCKWORKERS OFF JOB AT WEST COAST SEAPORTS
The gateways for international trade have become more like parking lots for cargo ships that haul consumer goods from Asia and return there with U.S. exports.
6. ‘OBAMACARE’ ENROLLEES FACE UNCERTAINTY
A Supreme Court case could result in millions of consumers losing financial assistance for their premiums later this year.
7. WHY 2015 CALENDAR STANDS OUT
Including Friday, there will be three Friday the 13ths this year — a relatively rare occurrence.
8. HORMONE TREATMENT APPROVED FOR CHELSEA MANNING
The regimen will enable Manning, who is serving a 35-year sentence for leaking classified documents, to make the transition to a woman.
9. WHO’S SAYING GOODBYE AGAIN
Rosie O’Donnell, who is going through a divorce and has had a heart attack, ends her second stint on “The View.”
10. LEBRON’S CAVS FINALLY LIVING UP TO EXPECTATIONS
After a turmoil-filled start, the superstar and his supporting cast are playing like championship contenders as the NBA reaches the all-star break.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Photos of the amazing, moving, important and amusing things happening in the federal community.